The College has set up the Career Counselling Cell for the benefit of the students in 2004. The primary objective of this Cell is to provide the life skills to students and make them efficient to cope with the competitive job market. The Cell’s activities were initiated by the Dr. Manuranjan Pandit, Ex Principal of the college. This conception is carried forward by Dr. Bubul Kumar Saikia, Mr. Rajen Dutta, Dr. Surajit Bhuyan, Mrs. Binita Hazarika, Mr. Durlav Raj Taid, and faculties of different departments of the college.
To keep pace with the present stiff competition, the cell has undertaken several measures like organizing seminars, mock interviews, soft skills, communicative English, phonetic exercises, personality development and leadership skills to the students. These programs are conducted by distinguished personalities in the field. The college has also integrated the Career Counselling with the reputed career counselors. The Cell offers guidance in higher education and other career opportunities apart from conducting usual counseling.
Periodic interactions with professional career counselors, government as well as public sector officials are organized to provide opportunities for exchange of ideas and experts’ experiences in their respective fields. Students are encouraged to talk about their career-ambition, and the challenges they may face, as well as understanding the various emerging trends of job opportunities through this platform. We are also proud to state that the outgoing students are extending their support to this cell, and have already founded an alumni forum to guide the juniors in different aspects of career opportunities.
The alumnae association conducts friendly interactive sessions, where students are given practical tips on various issues considered essential for their career enhancement. From 2009 onwards this cell has been organizing rigorous one to one counseling to students in close support of skilled career counselors at free of cost. In addition to this frequent mock interviews and personality development classes are conducted to familiarize the students with a real interview process. Wherever possible free study material are also provided to the students. This cell caters students with updated informations regarding career from various sources, such as, employment news, Online portals, magazines, etc.
The Career Counselling Cell remains open for three hours daily, and is well-equipped with computers, internet facility and sufficient reading material, e.g. competitive examination books, text books, magazine, model papers, newspapers, etc. for providing information regarding various career opportunities. The newspaper cuttings, advertisements about job-opportunity and information brochures of different institutes are pasted on the notice board from time to time to apprise the students of various admission and job prospects.
Coordinator of the Cell: Mr. Durlav Raj Taid, Associate Professor, Department of History
Other Members :
- Mr. Jayantajit Bordoloi, Assistant Professor (Joint Convener)
- Mrs. Parineeta Dihingia, Assitant Professor
- Mr. Babyson Terrang, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Parama Dutta, Assistant Professor
- During the academic year 2009-10, the Cell invited prominent career counselor and columnist Mr. Arup Kr. Deka to deliver a series of lecture on changing prospects of jobsmarket; and the same was followed by group interactive sessions. Around 600 students, both from science and arts stream actively participated in this long two-day program covering eight sessions.
- During the year 2010-11, besides its regular activities the Cell invited government officials from different departments (Industry and Sericulture Department, Govt. of Assam) to provide informations regarding different government self- employable schemes for self sustainability which was considered to be highly successful.
- During the year 2011-2012, with a break from the regular career counseling program , the cell organized a day long seminar under the heading, “Motivation of Students Towards Entrepreneurship” on 29th of August, 2012 in collaboration with the Assam Chambers of Commerce, Guwahati . The chief resource person, Mr. Rupam Goswami, President, ACC, himself a renowned entrepreneur shared his initial experiences and challenges as an novice entrepreneur with the students and motivated them to step into the field of entrepreneurship.
- On 3rd March, 2016, the Career counselling cell organised a Talk on 'Career in Ethical Hacking'.
- The Cell organised an awareness programme on 'Early Diagnosis of Cancer and its Management' on 16th March, 2016 at Lakhimpur Girls' College. Dr.DIpali Bhuyan, Onchologist, Royal Hospital, Oman delivered valuable speeches for the benefit of students.
- The career counselling cell in collaboration with University of Science and Technology, Meghalaya, conducted an 'Interactive Session on Personality Development' on 29th March, 2016.
- On the occasion of World Photography Day, a participatory photography exhibition was organised in association with 'Bandhu'- a Photographic Club, Lakhimpur on 19th August, 2016.
- In collaboration with Sky International Academy, Guwahati, the cell organised a counseling session on the career perspective in 'Aviation, Tourism and Hospitality Management' on 29th August, 2016.
- The Career Counselling Cell of the college organised a two-day open counselling session cum workshop on 4th and 5th October, 2016. The subject matter of the workshop was GPS, Mapping and Cyber Security System.
- On 28th March, 2018, a Career counselling session was conducted at Lakhimpur Girls' College by Mr. Ramanpreet from Pune Institute of Business Management on career options after B.A./ B.Sc.
- The Career Counselling cell of Lakhimpur Girls' College in collaboration with North Lakhimpur Anchalik Students' Union organised a ten days free coaching programme which ended on 21st July, 2018.
- A two-day career counselling session was conducted by Arohan- an Elevation at Lakhimpur Girls' College on 27th and 28th March, 2019. The session aimed to train the students on aptitude, reasoning, general, communicative English and Computer aptitude.
- The Career Counselling Cell in collaboration with Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), Kolkata conducted a 100 hours Affirmative Action Training Programme from 6th June, 2019 to 23rd June, 2019. The students were provided free training on skill development by Pansy Mary Lepch trainer at TCS. The programme wa followed by a campus interview in which five students procure jobs in Tata Consultancy Services, Kolkata.
- A career counselling session was conducted Assam Downtown University at Lakhimpur Girls' College on 18th February, 2020 on various career prospects after graduation. Mr. Tilak Mahanta delivered a valuable speech on the theme as well as the subjects available in Assam Downtown University.
- A counselling programme was held at Lakhimpur Girls' College on 11th March, 2020 on career prospects in Film and Television Industry. Mr. Bhaskar Baruah delivered a talk on the scopes of drama and performing arts.
- A Self-defence Training Course started on 3rd December, 2021 at Lakhimpur Girls' College campus. The course was a collaborative effort of Lakhimpur District Taekwon-Do Association (ITF), Women Cell and Career Counselling Cell of Lakhimpur Girls' College.