The 'Women Cell' of Lakhimpur Girls' College was formed on 14th December, 2006 as per guideline of Assam College Teachers Association (ACTA). Dr. Musfick Ara Tayab was the founder President of the Cell while Mrs. Jobin Jerin Akhtar Boruah and Mrs. Malobika Chaliha were Vice-President and Secretary respectively. In the year 2017, the Women Cell of Lakhimpur Girls' College was reconstituted according to the new guideline of ACTA.
Composition of the Cell:
- Co-Ordinator - Dr. Roopa Roy, Associate Professor
- Secretary - Ms. Parineeta Dihingia, Assistant Professor
- Member (s) - All Women Teachers of this college.
The Women Cell performed different activities for the welfare of the society and students studying in this institution since its formation. Successful programmes organized by Women Cell includes, -
- Face to face interaction of female teachers with the students studying in the institution in 2007;
- Awareness programme entitled 'Early Marriage, Legal and Societal Issues';
- Two 'Rural Awareness' Programmes in collaboration with the Department of Home Science in 2012;
- Extension activity entitled 'Students Attitude Towrds Society' in 2012;
- Awareness programme at Anganwadi Centre on the occasion of National Girl Child Day on 24th January, 2015;
- A 'Cancer Awareness Programme' in 2016;
- Conference entitled 'Role of Women in Socio-Economic Development' in collaboration with the 'Khaga Biswajyoti Mahila Samiti' at Khaga Shankari Kala Kristi Sangha in 2017;
- A community oriented programme entitled 'Maa' where 62 local elderly male and females were felicited including students with remarkable achievements in different examinations in 2017;
- Organized a lecture session on 2nd March, 2021 on Horticulture and Breast Cancer. Mrs Jyotsna Das delivered a lecture on Hoticulture and its practices alongwith career options in this field; while Mrs Meera Das, a faculty member of the college spoke on Breast Cancer and its precautionery measures.
- A Self-defence Training Course started on 3rd December, 2021 at Lakhimpur Girls' College campus. The course was a collaborative effort ofLakhimpur District Taekwon-Do Association (ITF), Women Cell and Career Counselling Cell of Lakhimpur Girls' College.
In 2021, a resolution was taken by the members of Women Cell, Lakhimpur Girls' College to publish a series of books with ISBN. The glorius journey of Women Cell, Lakhimpur Girls' College is rooted in the published book entitled 'Women in the Changing World' - ISBN: 978-81-949838-5-9 (To view the book, Click here).